Ring Name(s): "The Promise" Antonio Thomas
Hometown: Springfield, Massachusetts, USA.
Weight: 207 lbs
Promotions Competed For:
New England Championship Wrestling
Premier Wrestling Federation Southeast
Top Rope Promotions
Power League Wrestling
World Wrestling Entertainment
Ohio Valley Wrestling
Professional Championship Wrestling
Big Time Wrestling
Awesome Wrestling Entertainment
Wrestling on Fire
Squared Circle Wrestling
International Wrestling Cartel
Full Impact Pro
National Wrestling Superstars
Total Non-Stop Action Wrestling
All Japan Pro Wrestling
Ring of Honor
Connecticut Wrestling Entertainment
National Wrestling Alliance
Liberty States Pro Wrestling
Classic Championship Wrestling
Wrestling is Art!
East Coast Wrestling Association
Wrestling Cares Association
Championships and Accomplishments:
NECW Heavyweight Champion,
Former NECW Tag Team Champion,
2013 ECWA Super 8 competitor
1. When did you first get into wrestling and what drew you to the sport?I first started watching wrestling when I was 8 and was drawn in by Hulkamania, but soon came to idolize Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Shawn Michaels and Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson. I first started training in 2001 and it had been all I wanted to do since I started watching as a kid.
2. You spent some time working for WWE in between 2005 and 2006, how did you find the experience?
It was a dream come true. You're working for the biggest company in the world, in the biggest arenas and against the best competition. Plus the pay is pretty good, so nothing can beat that, haha!
3. If you could face anyone from wrestling's history who would it be and why?Without a doubt Shawn Michaels. I grew up idolizing him and to me, is the greatest in ring performer of all time. Unfortunately, we never crossed paths during my time in WWE, although he was very helpful and always willing to offer advice and critiques-to be able to work with him would truly be a dream come true.
4. What are your Top Three matches of all time and why?That's a tough one, its so hard to narrow it down to just one. As a fan, the most fun I ever had watching a match was the HBK/Razor Ramon ladder match from Wrestlemania 10. From a technical perspective, the greatest match for me would be Bret/Shawn Ironman match, Tanahashi/Suzuki from last year or anything with Dory Funk vs Jack Brisco. Its hard, so many to name, but as a kid, my favorite match was Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior, haha-looking back, Hogan really took control of that match and showed that even though he's no technical wizard, he truly was a great worker.
5. Where can our readers catch you in action next and will you be making your way "across the pond" anytime soon?Catch me at all NECW events and check the schedule at necwrestling.com, Wrestling is Art on August 10&11 (wrestlingisart.com) and then Wrestling Cares in Los Angeles on August 17 (wrestlingcares.com) and then CTWE on August 24 against two former fellow WWE superstars, Mike Mondo and Derrick Bateman. I hope so! I love working in Europe and in the UK and am a HUGE World of Sport fan, so any promoter "across the pond" interested in bringing me in for training seminars and/or bookings, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and hit me up on Twitter @promisethomas.
Thanks for interviewing me and hope to be "across the pond" soon!!!
Thanks to Antonio Thomas for giving us this great interview. Any UK bookers reading this, what are you doing, go and e-mail Antonio at email@example.com and get him on your show...NOW!
Next Time: Kacey Owens